This will be a short one - not much has happened this past week.
But first, let's back up the blog wagon to January because I completely forgot to give a shout out to my curling team Strategic Incompetence. I managed to play maybe a bit more than half of the games of the season especially when I switched to the Taxol chemo and hardly had any side effects. Anyway, we landed in last place but that didn't matter to any of us - we won two games right at the end of the season. Here's a photo of the team and some action shots of our very last game (of which we won):
We missed the sign up for the winter season but we are planning on playing again in the fall.
As the title of this blog says Tran is back! I've had two treatments since my last blog - I was trying to get back on the early bedtime ritual before I saw him but he could tell I was sort of fibbing when he asked. And remember that cording thing I talked about in my last blog? That's the thing that was restricting my arm movements - anyway, I don't know if its the cumulative effect of massage, acupuncture and my home exercises but coincidentally after my first treatment with Tran, my cording improved significantly and continues to do so.
Wendy made us some food last week and we went over to Andrew and Laurel's for a delicious dinner too which is good for me because Dr. Craig wants me to put on a few pounds before radiation starts and I'm back on my no carb, no sugar diet. I've also been eating Uncle Rick's Christmas Pudding that I had in the freezer to help with the weight gain program - its not exactly 'low sugar' but I had to eat it sometime right? And it is deeelicious.
We had a quiet weekend - we went to the Black Sheep Inn on Friday night to see a band, Folly and the Hunter. It was really good but late, I didn't get to bed until 1:00 am (don't tell Tran) and it killed me! The next day I didn't get out of bed until 11:00 am. We didn't do much for the rest of the weekend but it was a nice break.
I was at the Cancer Centre on Monday having a CT Scan to set up for my radiation. The technician was really nice - I think her name was Mallory - anyway she also gave me these little dot tattoos for radiation treatment. She said that they aren't exactly the spots where the radiation will be targeted, they are just used to 'line me up' for radiation. And the spots are permanent tattoos - don't ask me why I thought they were temporary but they aren't so I've got six blue freckle-sized dots on my chest. Mallory asked me if I was afraid of needles and I told her that I already have two tattoos and I was just at acupuncture before I came so I'm fine with needles. She also spent a lot of time adjusting the table I was lying on as they had measurements on them and she was recording them. She said that's what they use to also 'line me up'. Radiation is an exact science!
Other than that it was a quiet week - I went out for lunch yesterday with friends from work, oh and I think I might be joining a gym - probably GoodLife. I've got a seven day pass to try it out so I've gone twice now and I think I'm in. Plus, people who are 'very active' after cancer have a 40% lower chance of recurrence - a stat that Dr. Craig tells me every time I see him - so that's got to become the new normal for me and I figure now is the time to get into the habit so that once I get back to work, it'll be the easy for me to maintain. Plus for the next few months it'll be a good excuse to get out of the house.
Oh and I decided to become the snowblower fairy for the neighbourhood so I snowblow the sidewalk for our side of the street and today, I went two doors down and snowblowed our neighbour's driveway because he's super old - not just retired - but like in his 80's!! And he's out shovelling and everytime I see him I worry he's going to keel over!
Leanna, Trevor, Dellan and Maisie are coming up this weekend and we are really looking forward to their visit, they were here last year on Family Day weekend too and it was a riot.
Oh and Marc sent me a fashion toque all the way from BC so I am going to wear it when I'm out being a fairy snowblower.
Check out those eyebrows! Oh yeah!




